Ozone measurement of Airofresh INTL AF1000juni 13 , 2019
A single unit each of Airofresh INTL AF1000 were used. Ozone measurements were taken using a calibrated Aeroqual Series 500 ozone meter with an accuracy of +/- 0.01 ppm.
Ozone readings were taken in and around the Airofresh INTL office building on Glen Osmond Rd, a highly-trafficked arterial route in Adelaide.
Ozone readings were measured as follows:
- Airofresh INTL AF1000: the meter was held in the exhaust flow.
- Building interior: an Airofresh INTL AF1000 unit was placed in a room of approximately 48 m3 and all doors and window closed. The unit was operated for a period of two hours before readings were taken.
- Building exterior: four readings were taken outside the building in different positions at an approximately similar distance from Glen Osmond Rd.
Results & Discussion
|Building interior (ambient)||0.03||0.04||0.03||0.03||0.03|
Airofresh INTL AF1000
There was a distinct odor at the exhaust of the Airofresh INTL AF1000 unit. Human nose detects ozone from approximately 0.01ppm. The production of ozone from the Airofresh 1000 is expected due to the mechanism of internal oxidation reactivity’s. This has been minimised by careful selection of component design within the unit, however production of a small amount is unavoidable.
Exposures to levels of more than 0.1 ppm over an 8-hour period are considered a health hazard (1). The Airofresh INTL AF1000 is well within this limit.
Measurements were taken over a period of one hour with the Airofresh INTL AF1000 running in the room. The meter was placed approximately 2 metres from the Airofresh INTL AF1000 unit and ozone readings remained relatively unchanged at 0.03 ppm. It is expected that ozone levels would build up significantly in a sealed room, however due to natural air flow around doors and air-conditioning vents the levels in this room stabilised
at a lower level. There was a distinct smell of ozone near the unit but not further away.
Ozone levels are significantly higher in the test facility at 0.03ppm, than typical exterior readings in Adelaide of 0.01 – 0.02 ppm (2) however the measurements were taken within 50 m of a major arterial road. In Adelaide, traffic is considered a major source of ozone precursors.
The Airofresh INTL AF1000 unit emits a noticeable level of ozone, however this is below the exposure standard for workplaces in Australia.
1. SafeWork Australia Workplace Exposure Standards for Airborne Contaminants
2. South Australia EPA website