Long term storage of organic or residue free fruit with the help of the AiroFresh® Technology.February 19 , 2018
Long term storage of organic or residue free fruit with the help of AiroFresh® Technology.
Summary of an article written by researcher Dr.Alena Janovska 22/01//2017 (Testimonials website www.agritechnology.be)
Storage trial Rosy Glow (Pink Lady®) apples
Storage regime: CA O2 @1.5-3% and T° 2-3°C. Relative humidity: 75%
Storage in a sealed room – start 29/04/2016.
Treatment trial on 3 groups of fruit:
- Group 1 – apples treated with two fungicides (Scholar and Roval®) and 1-MCP (SmartFresh)
- Group 2 – apples only treated with 2 fungicides (Roval® and Scholar)
- Group 3 – organically grown fruit, no chemical treatment at all, only AiroFresh®.
The 3 groups are placed in the same storage room. After 6 months and 3 days (1/11/2016) fruit has been randomly taken from the 3 treatments.
Brix flesh firmness in kg/cm²
Group 1 – 15.9% 8.13
Group 2 – 16.3% 7.47
Group 3 – 15.3% 7.46
Given the fact that no substantial difference between chemically treated and organic apples were found can we conclude:
- The organic fruit retained high sugar contents,
- and the flesh firmness,
- thus a high quality of products when only AiroFresh® unit was employed during the long-term storage.
These results have been confirmed for 7-8 months of storage in Manjimup Western Australia. No loss of quality has been found.
Taste, excellent compared with the fruits treated with 1-MCP as it blocks the development of the flavonoids during storage. Even for pears the taste difference for fruit with or without 1—MCP is even more remarkable.